Click here for the conference agenda.
Please join Christy T. Crider, shareholder and chair of Baker Donelson's Long Term Care Industry Service Team, for her panel during the American Conference Institute's Second Annual Conference on "Preventing and Defending Long Term Care Litigation: Expert Risk Mitigation and Defense Strategies for Nursing Home and Assisted Living Facility Providers," January 31-February 1, 2012 in Miami, Florida. On Wednesday, February 2, 2012, Ms. Crider will take part in the panel, "Securing and Enforcing Arbitration Agreements in the Face of Emotional and Legal Roadblocks Specific to Long Term Care." The panelists will discuss:
- Drafting arbitration agreements that will comply with both state and federal arbitration law requirements
- Minimizing the risk of litigation through proper formatting
- Can states do an end run around the FAA?
- Selecting an arbitrator who understands the emotional and legal issues specific to long term care and elder law
- What do arbitrators find beneficial?
- Explaining the benefits and process of arbitration to families
- Training nursing home admissions staffs on offering arbitration to families
- Touting the benefits: privacy, flexibility and limited expenses compared with trial
- The resident's right to opt out
- Understanding how the Congressional movement to remove arbitration agreements standard to most large chains will change the face of the industry
Fellow panelists include:
- Donna Fudge, partner, Fudge & MacArthur (St. Petersburg, FL)
- Bonnie Helfgott Krisztal, corporate counsel, Extendicare Health Services, Inc. (Milwaukee, WI)
- Leonard Milcowitz, arbitrator, Milcowitz & Lyons, P.A. (Clearwater, FL)