Mr. Sloan is co-chair of the Firm's Emerging Companies Group and focuses his practice on start-ups and other emerging businesses and also handles complex software and other IT transactions for both small and large companies alike. He helps many early-stage, high-growth businesses with business planning and formation, venture capital funding, drafting and negotiating vendor and customer agreements, strategic contract negotiations, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property protection and other general business law and intellectual property law issues. He often serves as outside general counsel for these types of companies.
Mr. Sloan regularly represents both technology and brick-and-mortar clients in connection with software, IT and other vendor contract negotiations, including software and health care IT transactions valued as high as $100 million. He regularly counsels hospitals and other health care providers on IT and intellectual property issues. Mr. Sloan takes pride in providing his clients with practical, cost-effective advice tailored for each client's unique business objectives. He is actively involved in the technology and entrepreneur communities, and he is a frequent author, speaker, board member and leader in that community.
He is actively involved in the Nashville Technology Council, serving as the chairman of the board of directors, on the executive committee and as general counsel. Mr. Sloan was a member of the Nashville Chamber's Partnership 2010 Entrepreneurship Task Force and serves on the advisory board for the Nashville Entrepreneur Center. Mr. Sloan is a long-standing member of the executive committee of the Tennessee Bar Association's Intellectual Property Law Committee.
Mr. Sloan is a frequent speaker and contributor to CLE seminars, Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce, Nashville Technology Council events and other similar events. Follow him on Twitter @casloan and LinkedIn @chrissloanesq.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in Intellectual Property Law (2005 – 2006, 2009 – 2010); Information Technology Law (2007 – 2014); Copyright Law (2012 – 2014); Corporate Law (2013, 2014)
- Listed as a Rising Star in Mid-South Super Lawyers (2011 – 2013)
- Chairman of the Board, Member of Board of Directors and Executive Committee – Nashville Technology Council
- Board of Directors – Life Science Tennessee
- Advisory Board – Nashville Entrepreneur Center
- Honorary Member – Entrepreneurship Honor Society Sigma Nu Tau, Belmont University's Center for Entrepreneurship
- Named "Top 40 Professional in Tennessee Under 40," Nashville Business Journal (2013)
- Listed – Nashville Post "In Charge" list - Technology (2011 – 2012)
- Named "Power Leaders in Technology" by the Nashville Business Journal (2011, 2012)
- Selected as the "WorkIT Nashville Advocate of the Month" by the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce (March 2013)
- Executive Committee and Intellectual Property Committee – Tennessee Bar Association
- Founding Board of Directors – Nashville Preparatory Charter School
- Member – Nashville, Tennessee and American Bar Associations
- Member – Partnership 2010 Entrepreneurship Task Force
- Member – American Health Lawyers Association
- Mentor – JumpStart Foundry
- Member – Startup Tennessee Advisory Board
- Co-author – "Chapter 5: Licensing Intellectual Property," Intellectual Property Deskbook, American Bar Association Business Law Section, 2013
- "Avoid These Common Startup Legal Mistakes," Nashville Business Journal, May 17
- Speaker – "Law of Technology: What You Need to Know," Tennessee Bar Association, September 22, 2011
- Guest – "Boston Style Bluegrass: Phones, drones, privacy for royals and more," This Week in Law, September 21, 2012
- Panelist – "Venture Capital 101," Tennessee Governor's Conference, September 22, 2011
- Judge – TechVenture Challenge, Nashville, Tennessee, April 5, 2011
- Judge – Belmont Business Plan Competition, Nashville, Tennessee, April 1, 2011
- Moderator – "Negotiating a Term Sheet," Nashville Technology Council's Entrepreneurial Series, Nashville, Tennessee, February 15, 2011
- Speaker – Owen Entrepreneurship Center Breakfast, Nashville, Tennessee, September 24, 2010
- Panel member – "Panel Discussion: IT License Agreements," 2010 Mississippi Software Institute, Jackson, Mississippi, February 26, 2010
- Speaker – "Top 10 Issues for Software Companies," 2010 Mississippi Software Institute, Jackson, Mississippi, February 16, 2010
- Speaker – "Capital Formation," Nashville Technology Council's Entrepreneurial Series, Nashville, Tennessee, December 3, 2009
- Speaker – "Doing Business in China," North Alabama International Trade Association, Huntsville, Alabama, September 1, 2009
- Speaker – "IP for Small Businesses," Green Hills Rotary Club, Nashville, Tennessee, August 7, 2009
- Panel Member – "China—Still the Land of Opportunities for U.S. Businesses," Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce's China Business Group, Nashville, Tennessee, January 13, 2009
- Speaker – "Service Level Agreements: Tricks and Traps for the Unwary," Tennessee Bar Association's "The Law of Technology: What You Need to Know" seminar, Nashville, Tennessee, September 26, 2008
- University of Virginia, BA, 1996
- Vanderbilt University School of Law, JD, 1999
Mr. Sloan is actively involved in many conservation organizations locally, nationally and internationally. He is one of the more widely recognized regional experts on bird identification and distribution, and he co-authors a quarterly column on birds of Tennessee & Kentucky for North American Birds. Several of his papers on birds have been accepted and published in scientific journals. Mr. Sloan is also an avid nature photographer and has sold photos to publications in North America and Europe. Some of his pictures can be found at www.chrissloanphotography.com.