The Ober|Kaler Health Care General Counsel Institute presented a webinar providing best practices on how health care organizations should prepare for and respond to government investigations. Presenters offered perspectives and guidance on these key issues:
- Responding to government demands for documentary and other tangible information, including grand jury subpoenas, search warrants, civil investigative demands and HIPAA subpoenas
- The relationship between the RACs and other Medicare and Medicaid contractors and the federal government - Do they share information?
- Insider tips on instituting preservation holds/document-retention directives
- Triggers for an internal investigation in response to a government inquiry and when to involve outside counsel
- Special issues presented by doing internal investigations including potential conflicts of interest, attorney client privilege issues and Upjohn warnings
- Preparing and responding to government demands for witness interviews
The program was presented by Sarah Swank, co-founder of the Ober|Kaler Health Care General Counsel Institute, and Virginia Evans and Gina Simms, principals in the firm's Government Investigations and White Collar Defense Group.