Susan McBee, shareholder in Baker Donelson's Washington, D.C., office, is a member of the Firm's Intellectual Property Group and Chair of the Life Sciences Intellectual Property Team. As a registered patent attorney, Ms. McBee concentrates her practice in the field of chemistry and biochemistry. She has over 15 years of experience in patent and trademark portfolio management for large Fortune 500 companies. She is often involved in IP due diligence during acquisitions and licensing negotiations involving her clients.
Ms. McBee has represented clients in many chemical, biochemical and engineering fields including agricultural chemistry, polymer chemistry, fermentation and extraction of proteins, food additives and processes, small molecule chemistry, medical devices, metallurgy, packaging materials, electronic materials and associated methods of manufacture and use. She also has extensive experience with both ex parte and inter partes reexamination proceedings at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) both as representing patentees as well as third party requestors.
Before becoming a patent attorney, Ms. McBee owned a patent search company and worked as a patent examiner at the USPTO in the field of polymer chemistry/light sensitive materials.
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers in Intellectual Property (2012, 2013)
- Member – Frederick County, Maryland and American Bar Associations
- Member – American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association (AIPLA)
- District of Columbia, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1997
- Maryland, 1996
- USPTO, 1994
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D., 1996 with high honors
- Alderson-Broaddus College, B.S. chemistry, 1987, cum laude