Sara McManus is an associate in the Firm's Chattanooga office. Ms. McManus holds an LL.M. in Taxation and has experience in a wide variety of tax-related areas, including federal tax controversy, state and local tax controversy, conservation easements, nonprofit and exempt organizations, and estate and succession planning, including international estate planning.
Ms. McManus also has experience in probate litigation including representation of estates as well as matters related to creditor claims. Ms. McManus has experience representing investors and developers as to EB-5 immigration.
Ms. McManus has experience representing individual and business taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service, the United States Tax Court and the Tennessee Department of Revenue. Representative tax controversy matters include negotiation of installment agreements for individual and business taxpayers, representation of estates as to audits of federal estate tax returns, and representation as to federal and state level audits of individuals and businesses.
- President-Elect − Southeast Tennessee Lawyers' Association for Women (SETLAW) Board of Directors
- Member − Northside Neighborhood House Board of Directors
- Volunteer – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
- Presenter − "The Probate Process from Start to Finish," National Business Institute, December 15, 2015
- Author − "Taking Time to Give Thanks and Review Your Estate Plan," Baker Donelson Tax Alert, November 26, 2014
- Presenter − "Estate Administration Procedures: Why Each Step Is Important," National Business Institute, August 7, 2014
- Co-author − "Current Trends in Railroad Valuation," Institute for Professionals in Taxation, November, 2013
- Presenter − "Tax Topics for Nonprofit Board Members," Baker Donelson Nonprofit Institute, June 27, 2013
- Presenter − "Tax Changes and Conversations with Donors," Greater Chattanooga Area Planned Giving Council, April 10, 2013
- Tennessee, 2010
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- University of Florida, LL.M. in Taxation, 2011
- Washington & Lee University School of Law, J.D., 2010
- Senior Articles Editor – Journal of Civil Rights and Social Justice
- Emerson College, B.F.A., magna cum laude, 2004
- University of Mary Washington, 2002