Samuel D. Chafetz, shareholder in the Memphis office, concentrates his practice in the areas of corporate, securities, mergers and acquisitions, and venture capital. He represents public and private enterprises and is the trusted advisor to directors and chief executives of companies listed on the New York Stock Exchange, NYSE AMEX Equities, NASDAQ and pink sheets. Mr. Chafetz has extensive experience in SEC and stock exchange regulatory compliance, capital formation from both public and private sources, management prerogatives, shareholder rights and corporate governance, and accounting, public disclosure and investor relations issues. Mr. Chafetz has counseled clients in diverse industries in tender offers and going private transactions. He has particular interests in and experience with retailing, restaurants, health care, aviation, securities, broker-dealer matters, agribusiness, franchising and emerging technologies.
Mr. Chafetz practiced at Wachtell Lipton Rosen & Katz in New York City before returning to his native Memphis.
- Dollar General Corporation (NYSE) repurchase of shares from KKR affiliates
- Sale of client Delta and Pine Land Company (NYSE) to Monsanto Company (NYSE)
- $1.5 billion recapitalization of client CBRL, Inc. (NYSE)
- $450 million financing of Hancock Fabrics, Inc. emergence from bankruptcy with no impairment of creditors or shareholders
- Purchase by client Pinnacle Airlines, Inc. (NASDAQ) of Colgan Air, Inc.
- Professional Education Broadcast Network – "Board of Directors: Fiduciary Liability & Obligations in a Down Economy"
- International Business Brokers Association
- Institute of Management Accountants
- Tennessee Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®: Corporate Governance and Compliance Law, Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Private Funds Law, and Securities Law since 1983
- Listed in Mid-South Super Lawyers since 2006
- Named the Best Lawyers' 2013 Memphis Corporate Governance Law "Lawyer of the Year;" 2014 and 2012 Memphis Securities Regulation "Lawyer of the Year;" 2011 Memphis Mergers & Acquisitions "Lawyer of the Year"
- Adjunct Professor – Securities Regulation, University of Memphis and the University of Mississippi Law Schools
- New York, 1971
- Tennessee, 1973
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1970, with honors
- University of Michigan (Ann Arbor), B.A., 1967, with honors
- Road Bicycling, Community Charitable Fundraising