Richard F. Mattern, shareholder in the Memphis office, concentrates his practice in the areas of corporate & securities law and mergers & acquisitions. Mr. Mattern has experience handling a variety of corporate & securities matters including private and public offering of debt and equity securities; compliance with periodic reporting requirements of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934; stock exchange regulatory compliance; and corporate governance. His mergers & acquisitions experience includes representation of both public and private companies in a variety of industries, including life science, specialty food, banking, airline and multi-family apartments.
Recent Securities Offerings
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in connection with a $20 million initial public offering.
- Represented multi-family apartment real estate investment trust (REIT) in connection with a continuous equity offering of up to $1 billion of common stock.
- Represented multi-family apartment REIT in connection with inaugural public debt offering in the amount of $350 million.
- Represented a bio-agricultural technology company in connection with an international private placement of $10 million of Series C Preferred Stock and $8 million of Series B Preferred Stock.
- Represented a broker-dealer with multiple private placements of common stock.
- Represented a national bank holding company in connection with the offering of subordinated debt and bank notes in excess of $6.0 billion.
- Represented a smaller reporting company in two $5 million private placements of public equity.
Recent M&A, Corporate & Restructuring Transactions
- Represented public medical device company in connection with a sale of a division.
- Represented a multi-family apartment REIT in connection with an $8.6 billion merger transaction on Form S-4.
- Represented public luxury goods retailer on Tennessee corporate law matters in connection with their public cash-out merger.
- Represented a specialty food company in connection with three acquisitions of food brands and facilities.
- Represented a specialty food company in the sale of substantially all of its assets to a foreign public company.
- Represented national bank holding company in $300 million divestiture of mortgage division.
- Represented national bank holding company in $450 million divestiture of credit card processing subsidiary.
- Represented national bank holding company in connection with an $11 million merger transaction on Form S-4.
- Represented regional airline with $20 million acquisition of regional airline.
- Member – Tennessee Bar Association
- Member – Memphis Bar Association
- Member – American Bar Association
- The Committee on Mergers and Acquisitions, Business Law Section
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., 2004, with honors
- University of Tennessee, B.S., 2000