Richard F. Mattern, shareholder in the Memphis office, concentrates his practice in the areas of corporate and securities law and mergers and acquisitions. He has experience in the representation of publicly held companies; debt and equity security offerings, both public and private; mergers and acquisitions; and business planning and organization. Mr. Mattern has handled a variety of securities matters including private and public offering of debt and equity securities; compliance with periodic reporting requirements of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934; stock exchange regulatory compliance and corporate governance. His mergers and acquisitions experience includes representation of both public and private companies in a variety of industries and transactions involving the sale of businesses and divisions. Mr. Mattern also has experience in corporate and entity formation.
Recent Securities Offerings
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in connection with a $20 million initial public offering.
- Represented multi-family apartment real estate investment trust in connection with a continuous equity offering of up to $750 million of common stock.
- Represented a bio-agricultural technology company in connection with an international private placement of $10 million of Series C Preferred Stock and $8 million of Series B Preferred Stock.
- Represented a broker-dealer with multiple private placements of common stock.
- Represented a national bank holding company in connection with the offering of subordinated debt and bank notes in excess of $6.0 billion.
- Represented a smaller reporting company in two $5 million private placements of public equity.
- Represented multiple companies in "going private" transactions.
Recent M&A, Corporate & Restructuring Transactions
- Represented a specialty food company in connection with three acquisitions of food brands and facilities.
- Represented a specialty food company in the sale of substantially all of its assets to a foreign public company.
- Represented national bank holding company in $300 million divestiture of mortgage division.
- Represented national bank holding company in $450 million divestiture of credit card processing subsidiary.
- Represented national bank holding company in connection with an $11 million merger transaction on Form S-4.
- Represented regional airline with $20 million acquisition of regional airline.
- Member – Tennessee State Bar Association
- Member – Memphis Bar Association
- Member – American Bar Association
- The Committee on Mergers and Acquisitions, Business Law Section
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., 2004, with honors
- University of Tennessee, B.S., 2000