Micheline Kelly Johnson, a registered patent attorney and trademark attorney in the Chattanooga office, concentrates her practice in intellectual property. Ms. Johnson's practice leads the Firm in trademark portfolio management with responsibility for over 2,200 U.S. and international trademark applications and registrations, helping propel Baker Donelson to listing in the "Top 100 Trademark Firms" as noted in Intellectual Property Today for the past five years. Ms. Johnson has obtained trademark protection for both product configurations and market-leading brands, and has negotiated and structured critical international co-existence agreements designed to protect brand strength while embracing business opportunities. Ms. Johnson represents a number of consumer product over-the-counter (OTC) pharmaceutical companies in branding, advertising and packaging matters. She counsels clients in international intellectual property protection strategies.
Ms. Johnson assists clients in identifying, protecting, and capitalizing on intellectual property assets. She also performs due diligence evaluations of portfolios in connection with public financings and acquisitions and counsels clients in transactional matters involving intellectual property, including preparing transactional documents for license agreements, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, and divestitures. Ms. Johnson's portfolio management includes enforcing clients' intellectual property rights in federal courts and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Ms. Johnson has prepared and prosecuted domestic and international patents relating to a range of technologies, including chemicals, manufacturing equipment, toys, computer-based business methods, and general mechanics. In addition, Ms. Johnson evaluates patents and drafts license agreements, freedom-to-operate opinions, validity/invalidity opinions, patentability opinions, and non-infringement opinions.
Ms. Johnson also has experience in copyright protection and enforcement, and Internet, eCommerce, and domain name matters. She has served as an expert in patent litigation and is the former Chair of the Firm's Intellectual Property Group, and currently serves as the Co-Chair of the Firm's Trademark and Branding section.
Ms. Johnson holds the highest rating for ability and ethics, the AV® rating from Martindale-Hubbell, based on anonymous surveys of lawyers and judges.
- Assisted both seller and buyer in intellectual property aspects of acquisition of $200MM OTC pharmaceutical company by $600MM OTC pharmaceutical and household brand products company. Continue to represent combined intellectual property portfolio.
- Assisted large pharmaceutical company in combating extensive, targeted international registrations of client's trademarks by a foreign corporation. Successfully opposed and/or obtained assignments of all pirate marks, totaling roughly 100.
- Negotiated favorable settlement on behalf of a client accused of field employees' multiple copyright infringements via peer-to-peer (BitTorrent) sharing of a movie file.
- "The New Cuba Reality and Your Intellectual Property," Baker Donelson Intellectual Property Alert (July 27, 2015)
- Speaker – "Protecting Your Intellectual Property in China," JC Partnership Forum China Workshop (July 16, 2015)
- Speaker – "Social Media Workshop," Emerson Group/Vayer Media (May 11, 2015)
- Speaker – "Global Intellectual Property," North Alabama International Trade Association (May 8, 2015)
- "Global Protection and Enforcement of Trademarks," International Franchise Association's Franchise Business Network (November 4, 2014)
- "Non-Disclosure Agreements for the Information Technology Professional," for CIO and IT staff of national nursing home, assisted living, retirement living, home care, and Alzheimer centers (July 10, 2014)
- "The New China and Your Company's Intellectual Property," Baker Donelson Intellectual Property Alert (July 9, 2014)
- "Intellectual Property Simplified for the CPG Executive," Consumer Products Goods (CPG) Executives (July 25, 2013)
- "Branding in the Digital Age: New Media, New Models," International Franchise Association's Franchise Business Network (July 21, 2013)
- "Hot Topics in Trademarks," International Biotech Audience, Washington, D.C. (July 11, 2013)
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in Trademark Law (2012 – 2015)
- Named Best Lawyers' 2014 Chattanooga Trademark Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI), 2015
- Nominated by U.S. Member Group to, and accepted for, membership on Trade Marks Study & Work Commission (CET)
- Listed in Mid-South Super Lawyers in Intellectual Property (2013, 2014)
- Volunteer – Pro Bono Attorney in the Chattanooga legal aid program
- Volunteer – Pro Bono Attorney in the Atlanta legal aid program
- Member – Tennessee (Patent, Trademark and Copyright Sections) Bar Association
- Member – Georgia (Patent, Trademark and Copyright Sections) Bar Association
- Member – American Bar Association
- Member – International Trademark Association
- Member – Fédération International des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle (FICPI)
- Member – Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI)
- Member – American Chemical Society
- Board Member, Past President and Vice President, Family Promise of Greater Chattanooga (fka Interfaith Homeless Network)
- Past Board Member – The Junior League of Chattanooga
- Past Chairman – Corporate Partnership for Lookout Mountain Elementary School
- Past Board Member – St. Jude Home and School Association
- Past Member – Girls' Preparatory School Auction Committee
- The Baylor School International Students Host Family, 2009 – present
- Lector, Eucharistic Minister, former Secretary of Parish Council and Sunday School teacher, Our Lady of the Mount Catholic Church
- Tennessee, 1989
- District of Columbia, 1988
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1988
- Georgia, 1986
- Vanderbilt University, J.D.
- Student Writing Editor – Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law
- Vanderbilt University, M.B.A. (Finance) 1986
- Spring Hill College, B.S. (Chemistry), cum laude
- Miller-LeJeune Memorial Scholar