Marty Hartley focuses her practice on representing international and domestic developers and commercial property owners in the acquisition, development, finance, and disposition of commercial real estate, including resorts, hotels, mixed use, condominiums and affordable housing projects. In connection with her representation of developers, she has assembled and led teams to achieve land use and zoning modifications for projects in both Central and South Florida, including obtaining comprehensive plan amendments, DRI modifications, and zoning and variance applications.
Ms. Hartley also has more than 25 years of experience in corporate practice and taxation, including mergers and acquisitions, entity formation and business succession planning. She also has substantial experience in association law, public finance and franchising. Ms. Hartley practiced as a certified public accountant in Fort Lauderdale prior to embarking on her legal career and incorporates this knowledge into her practice.*
- Structure of "portfolio debt" investments for international client.
- Formation of $22 million Irish equity fund investing in U.S. real estate.
- Acquisition, financing and land use planning for 365-acre mixed use parcel in Florida.
- Abatement of more than $10 million in ad valorem taxes for Florida resort condominium in a case of first impression in Florida.
- Terminations of condominium regimes for Florida "fractured" condominiums.
- Due diligence for $200 million hotel portfolio acquisition.
- Obtained comprehensive plan amendment and PD modification for a 970-acre master planned resort.
- New Markets Tax Credit conversion of historic building to boutique hotel.
- Co-author – "The Florida Condominium Termination Trap," Law360, July 25, 2014; reprint, Florida Bankers Association FBA Insights, October 8, 2014
- Co-author – "Who is Reading Your Mail? The Florida Condominium Termination Trap," Baker Donelson's Mortgage News, Summer 2014
- Presenter – "LEADING THE RECOVERY: Multi-Family in the Limelight," CREW Orlando Luncheon Program, September 19, 2012
- Author – "Transactional Lawyers Guide to the FIRPTA Withholding Rule," The Florida Bar Journal
- Author – "Acquiring Partnership Interests in a Like Kind Exchange," Southeast Real Estate Business, 2003
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® since 2008 in the areas of Real Estate Law and Tax Law
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers as a leading Real Estate lawyer in Florida, 2014
- Listed in Orlando Magazine's "Best Lawyers in Orlando," 2013
- Member – The Florida Bar, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Former Chairman – Orange County Bar Association Tax Committee
- Executive Committee Member – United Arts of Central Florida
- Former Member – The Florida Bar Foundation
- Member – Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)
*Baker Donelson is not a CPA Firm.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, LL.M. Taxation
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D. with honors
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.S. with honors