Charles Pierce is an associate in the Firm's Memphis office. He holds an LL.M. from Georgetown University Law Center and practices in a wide variety of tax-related areas, including federal taxation, non-profit and exempt organizations. Mr. Pierce has advised clients of all sizes on the tax implications of a variety of transactions. Representative matters include mergers and acquisitions of financial institutions, entity formations, subchapter S elections, as well as rendering advice to U.S.-based multinational corporations on the tax consequences of operating abroad.
Mr. Pierce also maintains a vigorous health care practice, and he has assisted in the representation of both for profit and tax exempt health care systems. Representative matters have included private placements of hospital securities, physician practice alignment transactions (both via joint ventures as well as acquisitions) and assisting nonprofit system affiliates in obtaining federal income tax exemptions.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Pierce was employed in Washington, D.C., where he counseled many of the world's largest publicly held oil and natural gas companies on matters related to tax and international trade.
- "Independent Contractors v. Employees: Correcting Misclassifications," Society of Human Resource Managers, Memphis, Tennessee (March 19, 2013)
- "Issues in Independent Contractor v. Employee Distinction," presented to the Tennessee Society of CPAs, Nashville, TN (May 21, 2012)
- "New IRS Regulations On Repair Expenditures Impact Hospitality Industry," Baker Donelson's Hospitalitas newsletter (February 29, 2012)
- "IRS Renewed Focus on Employee vs. Independent Contractor Distinction," presented to the National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (January 31, 2012)
- "Independent Contractor vs. Employee" and "Issues in Reporting Lawsuits and Settlements," presented at "IRS Form 1099 Reporting: What you Need to Know" seminar, Memphis, TN (November 17, 2011)
- Member – American Bar Association (Section of Taxation)
- Member – D.C. Bar Association (Section of Taxation)
- Member – Tennessee Bar Association (Section of Taxation)
- Member – Memphis Bar Association
- Member – American Health Lawyers Association
- Board of Directors – the University of Memphis Sigma Chi Housing Corporation
- Tennessee, 2009
- District of Columbia, 2011
- U.S. Tax Court, 2010
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., 2010, with distinction
- CALI Award (highest grade) – Tax Planning for Real Estate Transactions
- University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, J.D., 2009
- CALI Award (highest grade) – Alternative Dispute Resolution – Mediation
- CALI Award (highest grade) – International Economic Law
- University of Memphis, B.B.A., 2006, magna cum laude